Sunday, August 22, 2010

My 7 year old

I can hardly believe what I just typed. I am the parent of a seven year old... well, in a few hours anyway. As he said his prayers and we tucked him in tonight, I told him the day that he was born was one of the most blessed days of my life. He then asked with a twinkle in his eye and a smirk on his face, "More better than when Samuel was born?"

His sense of humor has definitely matured. He's slowly catching on to sarcasm and his wit is getting much quicker these days. I was just reading a quick article on BabyCenter titled, 'Welcome to 7' continued: '

"Congratulations on another step down the road toward growing up. Sevens are delightful to be around. They've shed a bit more of the neediness and uncertainty of younger years, and bring enthusiasm and curiosity to everything they do. Mastering skills like reading and simple math gives your child a confidence and excitement about academics.

Sevens tend to ask lots of questions, because they're keen observers with a big need to know about everything. They thrive on order but are better able to roll with change than they used to be.

Your 7-year-old is mature enough to form his own opinions about many things. He looks to peers and other adult authority figures to inform his ideas. But his parents firmly remain the shining lights in his universe. Sevens still like to cuddle, hold hands, and show their affection in ways that typically vanish (at least in public) over the coming years."

What a way to sum things up. I always thought it would get easier as he got older but it just seems to change. Sure I get a lot of my time back as a mother but all that time is sucked up by thinking about how I should address new issues.

I love how he still needs me, or maybe just wants to be around me sometimes (although most of the time it's Dad). What a loving a kind brother to Samuel he is. He's taught him so many things. Songs, animals, sound effects, words... so many words... good ones, how to clean up, how to jump and run and climb. Right now he's working on the potty. He has a true compassion for others and good spirit within him that I hope never is broken down. Just the other day as we passed a homeless person, he closed his eyes and covered his face. When I asked him what he was doing he replied, "I'm just sayin' a prayer for that sad man". Such a gentle sole.

This Summer we read books, had swim lessons, and did a few Math workbooks. He's worked his way all the way up to triple digit addition and subtraction! He also sped through his money counting book and can now count all his coins. Such a smarty pants and I am so proud of him.

I truly thank G-d for giving me such a beautiful boy. Happy happy birthday eldest & good luck in 2nd grade!


No comments:

Post a Comment